Re: V. basic script question

> I'm on a dial on demand connection and I have this script in
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ for having the mail fetched from my ISP everytime I
> make a connection, and then sent locally:
>
> ----- start script -----
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /usr/bin/fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmailrc -a -u a4608456
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -q
> ----- end script -----
>
> now, this works alright but I'd like to know when everything is over
> with a message echoed on screen... how do I go about that?

I don't know exactly what you mean by `echo on the screen'.  The most
basic thing would be to print in the terminal where the script runs:

echo Ready.

If you want a window to pop up, you might use xmessage from the xcontrib
package:

xmessage It\'s done. &

Yet another way would be

xterm -e sh -c 'echo All is done; read a' &

The `read a' portion is used here to wait for someone to hit <enter>.

If the ppp script is not running as the user that runs the X11 session
(I don't know, never used ppp), then you may have to put something like

xhost +localhost

in your .xsession file to allow the window to pop up.

HTH,
Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)