Network setup

I have problems setting up my network with isdn, sync ppp, diald.
Debian is 2.1, kernel 2.2.5.

The first time I try to connect to the internet diald does not call;
after isdnctrl dial ippp0 anything is ok, diald redials if the connection
was interrupted because of timeouts.

I suspect problems with the initial routing setup.
I set up ppp with pppconfig; on startup I get error messages from the
route commands in /etc/init.d/network and /etc/device.ippp0 (the route
add -host command fails: Operation not supported by device).

The init scripts generate an ippp0 and a sl0 slip interface (??), both
are set as default gw.
I tried ifconfig sl0 down, but the same as before.

TIA
Klaus