Re: UIDs missing, "I have no name!", etc

*- On 19 Jun, Kent West wrote about "UIDs missing, "I have no name!", etc"

[tales of sorrow]

> The only problem is that if I'm logged in as anyone except root and set my
> prompt to display my username, it displays instead "I have no name!" If I
> do a whoami command, it returns "cannot find username for UID 1000" (or
> whatever the UID is supposed to be.

The UID and GID are the 3rd and 4th fields in the password file.  What
are they set to for your accounts. Should look like:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
user:x:1000:1000:Full Name,,,,:/home/user:/usr/bin/tcsh

--
Brian