re: ATI Rage Fury

> can it be done, has anyone? any pointers?

Did for a friend last weekend.  It is done with the XF86_FBDev X server and so
is rather slow - but better than nothing.

Look at the Framebuffer-HOWTO and go to:

        http://www.0wned.org/~cain/ragefury.htm

At the bottom of that page is an addendum for RedHat 6.0 users saying you need
to add a Depth line to the Section "Screen" of your /etc/X11/XF86Config and you
do not need a Modeline.  Under Debian I had to add the Depth line also and
did not test whether we needed a Modeline, I left one in.
Bill Wilson <billw@wt.net>