newbie: installing new drivers

1. I just added an ethernet card to my system (3Com SC509TP) and I understand that I'm supposed to use the driver 3c509. My question is *how* do I get the system to load that driver? (If I were installing linux again I could use dbootstrap, but I have the feeling there's an easier way.) The boot msg doesn't have any "eht0" mention or any other mention of the card.

2. how would your answer change if I told you I had TWO ethernet cards I wanted to install?

tia