Re: Disabling the power button

>> "AM" == Alisdair McDiarmid <alisdair@letdown.demon.co.uk> writes:

AM> I've got an ATX system with APM enabled and working fine. I'd like
AM> to disable the power button in software so that the machine
AM> effectively cannot be switched off without root access - `shutdown
AM> -h now' would still halt and power-down.

I do something similar. Instead of disabling the button (don't know if
this is possible), I set it in the BIOS to make the computer go to
power-safe mode (suspend). (holding it pressed down will still turn
the computer off).

Then I installed apmd and make a script /etc/apm/suspend.d/shutdown
#!/bin/sh

shutdown -h now

Now when I press the button, the box will do a clean
shutdown. SOmetimes the suspend mode is initialized before linux could
kill everything, then i press the button again, suspend mode will be
deactivated, and the suspeded shutdown command will finish its job.

Kind of handy, if your keyboard and mouse is stuck (do to a bug in X
or 3Dfx or such).

Ciao,
	Martin