kernel panic after some days

I am running a debian machine (PC PII 350 MHZ, 128 MB RAM) as an Internet
server. Today the server crashed the second times after running one week
without any problems. The crash was caused by a kernel panic. Nothing has
been written to a log file. Below is an excerpt which I found on the
console:

 unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e7fde95c

 current -> tss.cr3=00101000, %cr3=00101000
 *pde=00000000
 Oops: 0002
 CPU: 0

The panic happened when a cronjob was running (glimpse ...) which does a
lot of IO and consumes a good amount of memory. Maybe connected with this
problem is a kernel message which occasional appears at this times but
doesn't cause a crash:

 Jun  5 05:47:25 memo kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
 Jun  5 05:47:25 memo kernel: 08:0c: rw=0, want=67136178, limit=610438
 Jun  5 05:47:26 memo kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:0c):
 ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 67136177, count
 = 1

I am running a kernel 2.2.3 with a hamm system. Could there be any
incompatibility between this kernel version and parts of the hamm
distribution? Should I deinstall glimpse and compile a binary myself on the
system?

I switched to debian because I thought it would be at least as stable as
Suse or RH, but unfortunately my experiences until now are bad. I had
to reboot the system too many times.

Any hints appreciated.

--Werner