Re: Window Maker

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Ann Henderson wrote:

   Thank you so much to William and David for their help with
   "dselect", I got everything that I needed this time.  Now I have
   another problem.  I'm trying to get Window Maker working and I
   can't figure out what this means:

   /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: could not open display ""

   I get that when I type "wmaker" at my prompt.  I've just configured
   my display, so I don't know how to save that as my WindowMaker
   default display.  Any suggestions?

   Thanks muchly :)

You will need to use xdm or xinit to start a Windows manager. (You
don't start them directly.  Here is how to use xinit:

  1.  Edit (as root) the file /etc/X11/window-managers.  Make
      /usr/bin/X11/wmaker the first entry.  Here is what mine looks
      like:

# This file contains a list of available window managers. The default
# Xsession file will start the first window manager that it can
# in this list.
/usr/bin/X11/wmaker
/usr/bin/X11/afterstep
/usr/bin/X11/twm

  2.  You can then type 'startx'.  This will start WindowMaker.

   PS Yes this is my first Debian install, so I'm a newbie!

I hope it won't be the last install.  Welcome!

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>
Network Adminstrator