Re: rpm -i no /bin/sh

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Paul wrote:

> I have alien installed and would of course hope to convert the RPM's I
> require once I am sure I can use Debian for my needs.
>
> I thought initially while I am trying to get things set up I would
> just try installing as RPM's. Debian appears to offer an RPM installer.
> I was not surprised at library dependancies etc. but the /bin/sh thing
> although probably very simple has completely thrown me.
>
> Is it more likely to work if I convert them with alien and then try?

I'm not sure, but IIRC the rpm package is primarily there for alien in the
first place. I see no benefit in using rpm directly, in stead of alien.
With alien, you create a debian package, which you can install with dpkg
afterwards. That way, if things get broken you can easily "dpkg --purge"
it in one step. The problem with rpm could be that, if it breaks, purging
the package with rpm could break aswell.

As for the /bin/sh dependency, maybe you have the bash package installed,
and the rpm looks for a sh dependency. OTOH, I can't imagine how rpm would
know where to check for dependencies, as it thinks it's working on a
Redhat system.

--scratch

--:: scratch at ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be ::-----------------
--:::::::::::::::::::::::::: Linux - Free power for the masses :::::::