Help with setting up a mailing list.

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on setting up a mailing list.
I would like to create an internal mailing list for my company. I have a
machine running Debian GNU/Linux on our intranet.

I have installed the mailman package and everything that it was
dependent on, f.ex exim. Mailman seems to be running fine. I can create
new lists, and I can access the html user interface. What I can not do
is

1) Visit the list archive. (I seems to remember having read somewhere
that the archive can not be visited untill the first e-mail has been
archived. If this is correct, then that explains that problem, since no
e-mails has been archived yet).

2) Subscribe.
When I subscribe, mailman reports that the subscription was successfull,
however, I am supposed to receive an e-mail with my password to confirm
my subscription. I never receive that e-mail.

I have played around to see if I could find out what the problem is. I
beleive that it has to do with the way I set up mail on the server
(which I probably haven't....). I am not able to send any mail to the
e-mail addresses related to the mailing lists, but I am able to send
e-mails to accounts created on the server.

Are individual e-mail accounts required for the individual mailing lists
on the server?
How do I create/ set-up these accounts?

Any ideas or suggestions? I am totally in the dark, as I do not know
anything about setting up e-mail accounts, and I haven't been able to
find any information in the HOW-TOs.

Thanks
begin:vcard
n:OLSEN;Jens K.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:NIHON PARAMETRIC TECHNOLOGY K.K.;Automotive Division
version:2.1
email;internet:jolsen@ptc.com
title:Technical Manager
x-mozilla-cpt:;0