communicator 4.6 - ftp bug

greetings,
well, now it´s me who have to whine.
firstly, a hearty ggrrrrhh.

my communicator 4.6 insists of unpacking certain types of files before
saving to hd. this behaviour is not acceptable, therefore i have to use
another version, which will download a file _unchanged_ if demanded.

could someone - preferably with version 4.61 or 4.08 - please download
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/graphics/sane_1.0.1-1.diff.gz,
check and tell if the downloaded file has the size of 17428 bytes?

for the curious:
you could think, why bother, let the communicator unpack the file, you
could then pack the file again and you will have, what you wanted.
but it´s not so easy.
i´ve done so, played with the availabel compression levels, but get
never exactly the same size the file has had before downloading.

but the size of this file is essential if one will create a glibc2.0 deb
from the deb-sources, which i must do because nearly all new packages
are compiled with glibc2.1 which i will not tolerate on my slink system.

even playing with Netscape.ad was not sufficient to educate my 4.6.
surely, i could use other prgramms to download my files - and in fact i
have done so - but i will not.

tia
hafi