Re: UPS anyone?

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:
> I want to put a small UPS on my work system to let it shutdown
> gracefully when there's a power outage.  I'm looking at:
>
>  Best Power Patriot
>  Best Power Patriot Pro
>
>  APC Back-UPS BK500M
>  APC Back-UPS BK650M
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?  Does any of them work `easily'
> with Debian packages (e.g. using stock cables)?
>
> The Debain packages I know of are genpower, bpowerd, apcd and
> upsd.  It'll take a while to look at them all since they mostly
> congflict with eachother (for obvious reasons).

Last time I looked into this APC was very bad about supplying developers
with their specs and the protocol they used for communication between the
UPS and the PC. On the other hand Best supplied Unix drivers, with source
code, right out of the box, and was gladly supplying any information
requested by programmers.

Of course this was about a year ago so things my have changed, but Best
certainly seemed like the "Best" decision at the time.

Gary