Almost There...

Thanks to the help of E.Paris and Shaleh, I've got my problem
pretty much narrowed down; hopefully someone can get me
through the last bit.

I am using an IBM 755Thinkpad with a Megahertz XJ1144 modemcard.
The modemcard is not a winmodem as was suggested to me--
Eloy Paris dug out a XJ1144 card he had and it worked for him.
I have the card in /dev/ttyS0

I have installed the Debian base using 1.4 disks and now
I am trying to use apt in dselect in order to get the rest
via ftp.  I ran pppconfig already. When i insert my card
I get two friendly Beeps.  The result of ls -s /dev/ttyS0 is:
crw-rw----1root dialout 4  [time/date] /dev/ttyS0

When I pon, my plog gets to "expect" and nothing happens.  I do not
think my modem is dialing at all.

If anyone has had this problem please help!  Three weeks into the
installation process and I am starting to lose my nerve!
Thanks, Jeff