Re: how do i modify the kernel for apm / ipmasq

> i want to modify the kernel for ip masq and apm how do i go about it?
> my system is a 486 120 32 mb ram 4 hdd just installed from debain floppys
> have nothing on it so what do i need to get?

Get:

source for kernel 2.2.10

and the following packages:

kernel-package
bin86
gcc
ncurses-dev
and whatever else these depend on

place the kernel source in /usr/src/ untarred/gzipped.  Call it
kernel-source-2.2.10.  Make a symlink to it called 'linux'.  Cd to linux.
type 'make menuconfig'.  Walk thru all the items.  Read the help.

When you are done type:

make-kpkg kernel_image

When this finishes cd .. and you will have a shiny new kernel-image.deb to
install.  Type dpkg -i <filename.deb> and follow the directions.

If this is a laptop w/ pcmcia cards, grab the pcmcia-source and pcmcia-cs
package and follow its docs as well.