Help me get apt-get through this ftp firewall

Hello,

I want to give apt-get access to some ftp sites but the login procedure for the ftp firewall in the company is kind of bizarre. Here's how it goes:

$ ftp ftp-fw
Name: remote_userid@remote_ftp_addr  my_employee-id
Password: remote_password
Account: my_employee-password

In the first line, "Name," there is a space before my_employee-id. remote_userid and remote_ftp_addr can be those for anonymous login, i.e. "ftp" and "my_email-address."

I've seen references to a file named /etc/apt.conf and still another called /etc/ftp.conf but I can't find the right docs (for some reason, after upgrading apt to version 0.3.6 I no longer have the man pages for apt).

I'd appreciate any help,

Thank you,

Pedro I. Sanchez