Behavior of apt-get vis-a-vis sources.list

I'm a bit confused about how apt-get works together with sources.list,
and hope somebody can straighten me out (and that it's not in some
obvious place in the documentation that I missed).

If I have two places listed in sources.list, and do an 'apt-get install'
on a package, does apt-get fetch the version that it finds in the first
source (assuming it finds one), or does it pick the latest version that
is in either of the sources listed?  (It appears to me that it does the
latter).

If it does do the latter, is there any way to make it always *upgrade*
from the first source only, or alert me if it needs to upgrade from the
second?  What I am thinking of is cases where you'd like to pick up new
packages from "unstable", but strongly prefer upgrades from stable.  I
know this is not a cut-and-dried issue (what if there are upgrades both
places?), but is there a way to refine this?  My current method is to
modify sources.list according to preference before I run apt-get, and
this seems acceptable, but not elegant...

TIA