Re: kernel "append" options

Lazar Fleysher wrote:

> > I use 2.0.35 and it has it.  I use it for my IDE PD-CD drive, and
> > have been for about two years (first as a patch to the kernel, I think).
> >
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
> >

> What I meant is: is it possible to use ide driver and scsi emulation (on
> different ide devices of course) under 2.0.x kernel?

Ah, sorry.
>                                                      I have two cdroms
> both atapi. And I have read that it is possible to access them as scsi
> devices using ide-scsi emulation. However, when I do that, only one cdrom
> is detected. So I thought, I'd run scsi emulation on one of them and
> regular ide on the other. However, I do not see such kind of support under
> 2.0.x. Maybe it is impossible...?

I don't know.

> PS What is PD-CD drive?

Drives manufactured about 2 to 3 years ago, mostly by Panasonic,
and available on certain Compaq PCs of that time (and other
brands).  The drive reads a CD or a cartrigde called a PD.  The
cartridge is square and contains a CD-sized disk that is 650MB
rewritable.  Contrary to CD-RW, you don't write ISO images on
them, but rather use them like hard disks (or Zips).  I typically
reformat them ext2 and store Linux stuff on them.

The device is still sold, but never really took off.  It was too
expensive.  There was only a little extra to pay to get it on a
new computer, but they were sold separately for something like
US$450 two years ago.  The cartridges were about $30 each, so
quite expensive too.

I'm happy I have it, because now I can buy cartridges for it for
about US$8.  That's a bit more that CD-RW disks, but there are
more convenient.  The units are now 24X or so, and can be bought
for US$340.

Peter