Re: echo connections

-> What is an echo connection?
-> I have never seen this type of connection in my logs, and I seem to be getting
-> them from root servers.  Is this a bad thing?

/etc/services:
echo            7/tcp
echo            7/udp

/etc/inetd.conf:
echo           stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
echo           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

just try it...

telnet localhost echo
and type "hello"

echo protocol sends back everything it gets.
you probably should block that port for security reasons. there are tcp ping
programs which use port echo but i don't see any reason to have it opened.
--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at Telenor Internet Kosice, Slovakia
 BIC coord for *.sk; admin of netlab.irc.sk; co-admin of irc.felk.cvut.cz