Re: how do you 'unstable' a machine?

Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

> Erik_Ch_Ohrnberger@Bigfoot.com writes:
>
> > ... edited
> Now, I'd like to also install the GNOME package, and it's not available
> > in the unstable distribution.  How do I make it install from the stable
> > distribution?  Can I?  Won't there be missing parts?  Should I just wait
> > until the stable version contains the new version of the X Server? (I'd
> > rather not.  I like my Linux  ;-)   )  Do I have to re-install the
> > system from scratch to undo this?
> >

> There are a whole bunch of GNOME packages in unstable - have a look
> for yourself!  Pick a gnome app or two, and you'll find apt will drag
> in a whole bunch of libraries and things from unstable.
>
> Be warned, unstable is called unstable for a reason.  Sometimes, things
> will get broken.  It's the price you pay for having the latest and
> greatest.

There seem to be some 'stable' Debian GNOME packages from the
GNOME home site http://www.gnome.org and its mirrors.
(A few other binary distributions also seem to be available).

I added 'deb ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/debian slink main'
(substituting ftp.gnome.org for my nearest mirror) and now I have a
stable slink (2.1) system with GNOME. The home page says
that GNOME is still beta, and 'stable' GNOME isn't as thoroughly
tested as 'stable' Debian, so there still seem to be a few bugs.

>From what I've seen so far though, GNOME rocks big time.

Shiraz.