apt-get didn't automatically install dependency

Last night, I did an "apt-get install karpski". It went fine, but when I
tried to run it, it said it was missing libpcap0. So I installed the
libpcap0 package, and everything was fine.

I thought that apt-get was supposed to automatically install dependency
packages--is this true?  Does this problem indicate a bug in apt-get, or
a "bug" in the karpski package definition? Should I report this to
someone?

- Kris