Can't boot linux anymore from HD

Hello,
yesterday I suddenly could not boot Linux from the HD anymore. When
booting, LILO begins the boot process correctly, but after that first
line "Loading linux..........." is written to the screen, the PC reboots
immediately. However, it is still possible to boot from diskette (which
takes an eternity), and LILO also lets me boot into DOS correctly (DOS
is on my /dev/hda partition). After booting from diskette, I seem to be
able to work absolutely without problems. Also, I don't remember any
essential problems during the last sessions or the last shutdowns before
the problem appeared.
I'm using Debian Linux 2.0.34 on a P100 PC.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions concerning possible causes of
the failure or any advice at which parts of the system to look for
fixing the problem.
Please reply by direct e-mail as well, as I am not subscribed to the
list.
Thank you,
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics,
J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt/Main
Feldbergstrasse 47			D-60323 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Phone:+49-(0)69-798-24949		Fax:+49-(0)69-798-23280
e-mail: ruedas@geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/