Re: starting pppd

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 09:05:37PM -0500, Chuck Peters wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We want to make it easy for our Windows users to setup ppp by having pppd
> start if they dial into one of our modems or start lynx if they telent or
> ssh in.
>
> The problem is I haven't figured out quite how to do it.
>
> What we want is:
> start ppp if they dial into the equinox SST, ie on ttyQ[1-16]
> start ppp if they dial into our portmaster 2 named cthulhu
> start lynx home.html if the file exists in their home directory.
> or start lynx http://ccil.org/lynxhome.html

Install mgetty to automatically start pppd. Add some lines like this
to your /etc/inittab and run "init q" to start mgetty.

T2:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS2

Look at the config files in /etc/mgetty and adjust them to your
liking. One caveat: the default pppd invocation does not look in
the /etc/ppp/* config files.

For the lynx thing, just add this to /etc/profile :
if [-x ~/home.html]
	lynx ~/home.html
else
	lynx http://ccil.org/lynxhome.html