Re: Where is /usr/bin/file?

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 10:20:07PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:
> Very strange; I looked for the package on Debian's website, using the search
> facility, and I can't find the package that owns /usr/bin/file.
> I do have /usr/bin/file on my Potato system.

I think this might serve as a useful trick when you dont know what package
owns a file...

anoat:~$ grep '/usr/bin/file' /var/lib/dpkg/info/*
anoat:~$ dpkg --status file
Package: file
  File tests each argument in an attempt to classify it.  There are three
  sets of tests, performed in this order: filesystem tests, magic number
  tests, and language tests.  The first test that succeeds causes the
  file type to be printed.