Re: How to unmount /?

*- On 11 Jun, Fu-Dong Chiou wrote about "How to unmount /?"
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to unmount /, so that I can use defrag to optimize the HD.
> However, booting from the boot disk, entering single user mode still does
> not allow me to unmount /.  Can anyone tell me what I should do to unmount
> /?  Or, is it possible to unmount /?  Thanks!

The boot disk just boots the kernel on the disk and then uses the file
system on the hd.  You need to use the rescue disk which has its own
filesystem so that you mount/unmount the hd.

HOWEVER, you don't really need to defrag an ext2 filesystem.  The
filesystem is much better about keeping files defragged on the fly than
any of the fat/vfat filesystems.  I have been using Debian since
for several years now and have never defraged my drives and they are
only about 5% fragmented, and in fact they have never differed from this
amount of fragmentagion for as long as I can remember.

--
Brian