Re: kernel "append" options

	Subject: kernel "append" options
	Date: Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 10:54:13PM -0700

Quoting Lazar Fleysher(fleysher@chudo.lanl.gov):
> HI all,
>
> Could some one tell me how to find if a given kernel release supports
> certain append option. In particular, I am interested in
> 2.0.36 supports ide-scsi option. I want to do:
>
> append="hdc=ide-scsi"
> I have tried it with no results, I do not know if kernel does not support
> it or I did something wrong...
>
> Thank you,
>
> ZORO

>                        Take these broken wings and learn to fly...
>        ///|\\\
>          0 0
>     (     .     )            http://pages.nyu.edu/~rqf6512
>           -
>          | |

For finding out, just about everything, the kernel supports, or
doesn't. Try  grep -i ??? /usr/src/linux/Doc*/*
which, after replacing ??? with ide-scsi, for the 2.2.9 kernel gives

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/scsi-generic.txt:emulated one (eg
ide-scsi device driver). A value of 1 means emulated

YMMV for the 2.036 Kernel.  I don't recall it being there, but....

--
Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
                -- S. C. Johnson