Re: Auto Shut-off

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, David Wright wrote:

> Quoting ktb (xyf@inetnebr.com):
> > As root use the command,
> > shutdown -h now
> >
> > See "man shutdown" for more details.  When I use this command I still
> > have to press the "off/on" button so this might not be exactly the
> > answer to your question.
> > hth,
> > kent
>
> There's a kernel option:
>
> Power off on shutdown
> CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF
>   This option will power off the computer after the Linux kernel is
>   halted (e.g., with the halt(8) command).  As with the other APM
>   options, this option may not work reliably with some APM BIOS
>   implementations.

There's also an option -p to halt (which is the default when you invoke it
as 'poweroff') that tells the kernel to do a poweroff when the system is
halted. It _may_ require the kernel option mentioned above, the manpage
doesn't say. You also may need to telinit to runlevel 0, the manpage
isn't clear about that either.