Re: LILO: Multiple drives (SCSI and IDE) LINUX and Windows

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> Ok, I see. I don't know whether windows is able to start at all if it's not
> sitting on the boot drive. As far as I know that's not possible. Correct me
> someone if I am wrong.

i have two IDE drives, Linux with LILO on the first and Windows 98 on the
second. Windows is bootable if i set bios to boot from that drive (or was
it bootable only if i switched the cables? i forget. The point is that it
is bootable if it thinks it's the boot drive.) But twiddling the bios
every time is annoying...

In lilo.conf, i use the map-drive option in the windows section to tell
bios to think that the windows drive is really hda, as opposed to the way
it is in reality. Without that, windows refuses to boot.

In particular, here's the relavent section of my lilo.conf:
  other=/dev/hdb1
    table=/dev/hdb
    map-drive = 0x80
      to = 0x81