Re: We need centralized accounts -- Any docs for ldap passwords?

Hello,

Have you looked into Freeside at http://www.sisd.com/freeside.  Its is
for ISP admin/billing and may provide what you want.

John C. Ellingboe
www.guntersville.net

Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:

> > > libpam-ldap will allow password change. The rest have to be done
> > > manually (or through some customized software. I am considering
> > > Ganymede.)  Although there is a nice package pam-mkhomedir that will
> > > automatically create homedirs (and copy /etc/skel stuff) if it does
> > > not exist.
> >
> > Where can I find that script?
> It is a package in potato.
>
> > I think we're going to go with ldap, so I'm going to have to figure
> > out how we want to handle adding/deleting users, etc.  I suppose I'll
> > just whip up some scripts, but I wouldn't mind having a good one as a
> > reference.
>
> Yea, I am in exactly the same situation as you are. And I am looking at a
> good way to administer the users etc. Unfortunately, I can't find a
> working solution (or one requiring minimal changes). What I gathered so
> far:
>  - Ganymede: java based administration tool, keeps its own database, would
>    require you to buid your own classes to upload to LDAP. I have not been
>    able to make Ganymede work so far;
>  - Webmin: perl based cgi scripts. LDAP stuff has to be done from scratch;
>  - linuxconf has a ldapconf module. Very early in the development and so
>    far mostly deals with configuring slaps instead of administering the
>    users. Did not manage to test it (guess need more time to play with
>    linuxconf)
>
> > First I need to look in to ldap and see what the tools are
> > for editing the database from the command line (if that's possible).
>
> Sure. There are utilities to do everithing (search, change, add, etc.)
> They are part of openldap-* packages. There is also very convenient "gq"
> (also in patato) which allows you to brows you directory and add/modified
> entries (though not suitable for real administration).
>
> Keep me informed of your findings.
>
> Sergey.
>
> --
begin:          vcard
fn:             John C.  Ellingboe   -   KE4BPW
n:              Ellingboe   -   KE4BPW;John C.
org:            The Guntersville Computer Center
email;internet: john@guntersville.net
title:          Owner/Admin
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE