Re: More Qs about Net Connection (was "Connecting to the Net")

Andrew J Fortune wrote:

> I have looked in the man page for pon, and it tells me that the two files :
>
> /etc/ppp.chatscript; and
> /etc/ppp.options-out
>
> are required for pon to work. Neither of these files exist on my system, and
> I was wondering if maybe this is the reason why I have been unable to
> connect to the Internet ??? If that is the case, then how do I generate
> these files ? .... is there some other PPP configuration routine that I need
> to run as well as pppconfig, which I have already run ?
>
> (Recall that originally I had the following error message when attempting to
> connect to the net using pon with no parameters : "/usr/sbin/pppd: In file
> /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized option '/dev/modem'". I attempted to
> fix this by adding the line /dev/modem in the provider file)
>
> regards,
> Andrew J Fortune

Hmm; I suspect bad/old documentation. My man says the same, but I don't
have the two files mentioned on my system either, yet I'm dialing up
just fine.

When you run pppconfig, and it asks for the modem port and the default
says "/dev/modem", change it to "/dev/ttyS[0-3]", with the 0-3 being the
number of the "COM port" your modem is on minus one. For example, if the
modem is on COM2, you'd specify "/dev/ttyS1".