Re: cat'ing a binary does some really funky things with my display

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 05:33:22PM -0500, Mark Wright wrote:
  Every once in a while, I will mistakenly 'cat' a binary.  This almost always
  results in my console going haywire.  Now most text appears as graphic
  characters (blocks, arrows, lines - all that extended ascii stuff).  I have
  no idea, short of a re-boot, how to recover my console.  Any idea what's
  happening?

console gets scrambled, mostly high ascii characters and such?

type reset at the prompt (you'll have to do it blindly, but...)

 - flip

------------------------------------- flip@csh.rit.edu/flip@octoraro.org --
"Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain.
 You are young and life is young, and there is time to kill today
 And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you
 No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."
    -- Pink Floyd, Time