Re: some hardware questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, richard newton wrote:

> I just have a couple of hardware questions that I don't know the
> answers to. I need to know whether the SoundBlaster PCI cards
> are supported in any way.

 Yup. See the Sound-HOWTO at
"http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO.html";. In fact, for all your
questions, try the Hardware Compatibility HOWTO, at
"http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html";.

 Trident supports their 4Dwave PCI sound cards with source code, if you're
not married to SoundBlaster.

> How about DVD?

 They are usable, but are treated as CD-ROM drives. Work is in progress on
implementing the DVD filesystem, etc.

> Is anyone running two
> Voodoo 2 cards in SLI mode?

 You might ask on linux-opengl@vger.rutgers.edu or mesa@iqm.unicamp.br. I
think it ought to work. However, apparently a single TNT2 card has
comparable performance, and is supported by nVidia with source code. It
has the advantage of being able to render into a window, and not just in
full screen mode. Apparently Quake II is currently decent and Quake III is
at least playable.

 The current support is not as optimized as it could be, but when XFree86
4.0 comes out around July, it should be even faster.

> I'm building a new machine and I want to know just how far I
> can go technology wise.

 Generally speaking, pretty far. :->

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  "Something can be comprehensible, even comprehended, and still be
             marvelous, wonderful, and valuable." - Me