Re: dselect errors and failures

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Kelly Corbin wrote:

> On my potato system, 2 files will not install from dselect.
> nfs-server_2.2 fails as it says it is trying to overwrite a file from
> nfs-client.  Gnome-utils_1.0.1 fails as it says it is trying to
> overwrite a file in package gnome-pim.  Is there a way to force the
> overwrite?  This is really starting to bug me.  Thanks.

i've had the same problem recently, dselect doesn't seem to override
properly anymore...

Assuming you're using the apt dselect method, you cd to
/var/cache/apt/archives/, then you can do dpkg -i --force-overwrite
package.deb

Be warned that any --force option could do Bad Things (which is why
they're 'force')