Re: How to print on shared Windows printers from debian?

Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Is there any way to print from debian on a printer connected to the
> Winblows machine on the same LAN?
> I found information about smbprint in SMB-HOWTO.pz, but there is no such
> utility in my Debian 2.1 box. :-(
> I have installed both samba & smbfs.
>
> --
>                         What to do?
>                         Wojtek Zabolotny
>                         wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl
>
> http://www.debian.org  Use Linux - an OS without "trojan horses" inside

I don't believe you need samba in order to print to a Windows-served printer (IIRC,
samba makes your *nix box look like an NT server). You might need smbfs if the
Windows server is not running TCP/IP, but if it is running TCP/IP, you should just be
able to just set up your /etc/printcap file for remote printing. I can't get to my
printcap right now so I can't give you an example, but I'm sure you can find one
maybe in the PrintingHOWTO or something similar.