Re: Random partitioning questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:

>  /var is awful large unless you're spooling huge print jobs or running
> your own news server. You could probably reduce it.

I've been hearing that alot. I think i will reduce it, probably 500-700M?
My concern was that i would have enough for /tmp and for apt to store
its packages.

>  Note that symlinking /tmp -> /var/tmp could conceivably be a problem if
> /var isn't mounted (I think this happens if you boot in "emergency" mode).
> Anything that used /tmp would fail. What I did was symlink /tmp ->
> /var/tmp, and, on my root filesystem, create a /var directory with a /tmp
> directory below it. When you mount the /var partition, the root /var/tmp
> is "hidden". (Sorry, I couldn't figure out a better way to express it in
> English.)

"hidden" is as good as i can come up with, too. I had thought of that, i
think it was vaguely mentioned in a doc i read somewhere...

>  Ideally, you should put swap on the fastest part of the disk. Sadly, on
> modern drives this is almost impossible to determine. They lie like dogs
> about their geometry to anyone who'll listen. :-> So, the scheme above is
> likely as good as any.

That's why i thought about putting swap in the middle. Since i have no way
to tell where the fastest part of the disk is, i might as well put it in
between everything so the head doesn't have as far to go.

>From advice others have given, i'm planning on putting them on 5, 6, 7, 8
in an extended partition. If i leave an extra chunk unused, i may leave
that as hda2...