Re: Random partitioning questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Michael Merten wrote:

> I wouldn't worry about wasting a bit of space on the / partition... it's
> probably the most difficult to fix when you run out of space, so go ahead
> and give it 300-400M.  Mine is 500M and runs about 24% used (/home
> included).

But i'm not going to put /home in there.

There's really not a lot that needs to go in /. Only the things required
for boot and fixing problems, everything else goes in /usr.

> I'd probably split that 1G into 2 partitions... 500M is enough for most
> users for /var... you can always use an extra 500M partition at some
> later date, if a partition runs low on space, or you decide to add a
> /pub or something.

hmmm... i'll have to think on this one.

> The 2G for /usr sounds about right... I've got 1.8G at about 50% used...
> that includes a partial mirror of potato in /usr/local/debian.  I set
> a symlink to it from /var/cache/apt/archives so everything I download
> through dselect gets saved there.

I've got 1.6G in /usr right now, which includes about .5G of sources
(kernel, wine, x11amp, and some smaller stuff)

> To sum it up... it looks like you've got it pretty well figured out,
> although I'd DEFINITELY allow more for the / partition.  Better safe
> than sorry ;)

300M would be overkill, though. What would use that much space in there?
Remember, /home, /var, /tmp, /usr would all be on other partitions.