SV: A little further: Short newbie question

Thanks a tremendous lot for all the help. It really helps keeping my spirit
up as a newbie.
I managed to mount the dos partition allright, but it seems like dselect
wants an exact copy of the ftp-site, which is a problem since I can't make
the directory "binary-i386" with only 8 characters allowed in dos.
Seems like I'm gonna have to borrow a cd-drive off of somebody and try to do
the installation from there, alternatively (re)install the winbastard in the
dos-partition to be able to use longer names. Damn.
Anyone got any brilliant ideas for a (masochist?!) newbie?!
Regards
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer...