Re: can bind keep best routes ?

Marc Mongeon wrote:
> If you run named (bind) on your 486, it will cache DNS responses.
> The first time you look up wanadoo.fr, for example, named will go
> through the root nameservers to find it, but subsequent lookups of
> the same name will be much faster, because the 486 will use its
> local copy.  Your idea that you want to run a local nameserver in
> order to speed up name resolution is correct.  I don't think this setup
> is what is causing your e-mail problems.  It would help if you provided
> more details about that problem (error logs from /var/log/exim/mainlog,
> e.g.)

I don't have the email PB under Linux; the main PB is from the PII, under w98:
if I do not declare the 2 DNS of my provider before mine in the TCP/IP window, I
got the error from smtp service (?). (#@!!§&)

Rest to solve: This PB under w98, and the file that'll keep DNS adresses for
bind (may be it is not possible, may be it is possible with another DNS ?)

> caveat = "beware", or "things to be wary of"
> caveat emptor = "Let the buyer beware."
> Some caveats about /etc/hosts:  you may need to make some
> changes to /etc/resolv.conf; it could cause problems if names or
> addresses change; etc.

AFAIK /etc/resolv.conf is made up-to-date by dhcpd (486 is under 2.0.36 kernel);
does that means I should write a script to modify/ add changes on each boot?

JY

PS: didn't notice your name in the first mail, Marc! Hope you're feeling good.
--
Jean-Yves Barbier   <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
Membre fondateur du CGE