Newbie installation troubles -dos/linux

Hi Debians
I'm still in the process of installing. I managed to mount the dos-partition
in dselect, but now it wants the exact folder-structure to be copied on the
dos-partition in order to install. The problem is: I can't make a folder
called "binary-i386" because dos will only allow 8 characters in filenames.
Is this a catch-22 situation?
Would it be possible for me to have Linux read a zip-file set from the
disk-drive in order to install the files directly to the Linux-portion of
the hd? If so, how? (the Linux box hasn't got a cd-drive, neither a
ppp-connection).
Regards, and thanx for your patience...
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer