Re: I am not impressed with Debian so far.

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:53:30 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> >Modem, that's why. All I have is about 28.8K to the Internet, and it takes
> >a long time to download a whole Debian install on that.
>
>     When I first installed Debian I had a 28.8k connection to the net.  That
> was Hamm frozen.  I've done every upgrade since then on a 28.8k connection.
>
>     When I installed Hamm onto my Laptop I had a 28.8k connection to the net.
>  Every update to it has been over the net.

Did you have to pay by the minute or by the megabyte? There are some that
do have to. For them it's much cheaper to get a CD, then upgrade the few
important things over the net.

What if you're going to reinstall a few times before everything is
set up properly? Would you want to be able to reinstall immediately, or
would you rather wait 10 hours each time? Not that i'm saying
reinstallation is necessary, but for some people it's much easier to
correct major screw-ups that way rather than juggling packages.

Net works for you? Great! But for some people it's not the best option.
Respect that.