Re: Random partitioning questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 12:03:39AM -0500, Brad wrote:
> > 1. If i understand things correctly, /, /boot, /lib, /bin, /sbin, /dev,
> >    parts of /etc, and maybe /root should be on one partition below the
> >    1024th cyl for hysterical reasons, which do apply in my case. Do i
> >    understand correctly?
>
> Yes, pretty much. My hard drive/BIOS has some bizarre LBA system
> where my 8.4GB drive has only got 1024 cylinders, so it's not a
> problem - maybe the same applies to most modern BIOSes?

Since it's very little trouble to keep it under, i'm going to do it to be
sure things will work.

> > 3. How about sizes for other partitions? /home i'm thinking 750M
> >    (personal workstation, 6 users that are just different mailing
> >    addresses for me), 1G for /var (with /tmp -> /var/tmp, is that a
> >    bad idea?), 2.1G for /usr.
>
> Apart from /var being a tad large (are you running a news server?)
> that sounds about right.

i'll have /tmp linked into /var/tmp, so i was thinking it should be a
little large... But maybe i will cut it down to 700M. There seems to be an
art to sizing partitions, which is why i cast out for opinions.

> If you're going to install something like
> StarOffice, make sure you do it in /usr, though, not $HOME/SO5.1/ or
> whatever it suggests.

Done that, the /net option is my friend. I don't see any reason to stick
it in /home when i have root access to /usr to install it anyway.

Thanks for the commants!