Short newbie question

Hi Debians
Whats the "partition's block device name"?
I'm trying to install Debian from the dos-partition using dselect.
I copied alle the files from the ftp(main, etc.)-archives and put them into
the dos partition.
I believe Linux should be able to "see" the dos-part., but I don't know the
path to it in linux-speak. (It worked fine a week ago, in my first attempt,
but that was only the "base" system).
I tried putting /dev/hda1/ but got the error: /dev/hda1/ is not a block
device.
What am I doing wrong? (Yes I did check the "Installing debian gnu/Linux"
manual, but found only basic inst. info., which I am getting familiar
with...)
Regards
Vitux

"Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer."