Re: cannot mount CD-ROM! - Pls help

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Will Lowe wrote:

> > But, now during boot, it does not detect the CD-ROM drive and as root I
> > could not mount the drive either. I tried both these commands:
> >
> > % mount /dev/hdc /cdrom     (I do have /cdrom as the mount point)
> > or
> > % mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt
>
> Try
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /cdrom
>
> ... you may need to specify which partition to mount.

On my system, the CD ROM is detected on boot up.  I use the
following command to mount an ide CD ROM. It is not necessary to
specify a partition.

To mention the obvious, you do have to have a CD in the drive to
mount the drive.  I am concerned that your CD ROM isn't detected on
boot.  Do you have support in the kernel for CD ROM drives and
iso9660 file systems?  Possibly you need to insmod your modules for
these.

My command looks like this:

elentari:/# mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hda /cdrom
hda: media changed
ISO9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
elentari:/# ls /cdrom
README.1ST             README.non-US          dists
README.CD-manufacture  README.pgp             doc
README.mirrors.html    Release-Notes          extras
README.mirrors.txt     boot                   md5sum.txt
README.multicd         debian
elentari:/#

Maybe someone else can offer more help.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)