pack/compress?

(please cc: replies to me, i am not on this list)

it strikes me as odd that the standard potato doesn't seem to include the
pack huffman coder or compress lzw compressor. while these are fairly
obsoleted by gzip, especially as gunzip will read .z and .Z files, they
still are mildly useful. am i blatantly wrong and there's actually some
package containing them, or should i just write my own copies?

--p.
"For a price I'd do about anything, except pull the trigger: for that I'd
need a pretty good cause" -- Queensryche, "Revolution Calling"
PGP 5.0 key (0xE024447449) at http://cif.rochester.edu/~jpt/pubkey.txt