Re: Configuring Zip Drive

On 06 Jun 1999, Adilson dos Santos Dantas wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How can I give Zip Drive support in Linux 2.2.9. When I used monkey
> (kernel 2.0.30), I can load the Zip Drive module using a script that
> unload the printer , load Zip and mount it and another that umount the
> Zip and restoure the printer. But it's not easy to use my Zip Drive in a
> slink with Kernel 2.2.9. At boot time, the ppa drive say that it cannot
> detect the device :(
>
> I use the following modules:
>
> parport_probe
> parport_pc
> parport
> paride
> scsi_mod
> sd_mod
> ppa
> lp
>
> But, ppa drive give the error message when it loads but lp module
> connects the printer without any problem. If anyone knows how to config
> kernel 2.2.9 (It can be any kernel 2.2.x) for using  Iomega Zip Drive
> and the pronter at the same port, reply this message.

I'm doing this without problems but I don't use any modules. I simply
complile in all the appropriate items for SCSI + Zip support (can't recall
what they are at the moment) and then "make bzImage". In the 2.2.x series
of kernels you can use the Zip drive and the printer transparently; just
plug the printer into the back of the drive and away you go. No need to
load or unload anything.

You do have the drive plugged in when you boot, don't you?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)