Trying to configure PPP

I wonder if I have a modem that's not supported by Linux.  After
configuring PPP (this was during the install) it tried to dial, then
displayed the following messages:

/usr/sbin/pppd:  in file /etc/ppp/peers/provider:  unrecognized option
'/dev/modem'
"Couldn't establish connection"

I have a Gateway PC with an internal Telepath modem (it says it's with
x2 and adheres to ITU-T V.34 recommendations, whatever that means!)
I've had to re-install Windows a few times (and that's why I'm trying
Linux!), and found that the "Plug-and-Play" software couldn't identify
the modem, so I had to go into the device manager and delete the modem
(it had put it under "other devices.")  Then Windows correctly found the
modem under COM2.  Is there some similar process that I have to do under
Linux?

Peter Christensen