Re: su problems with xdm

Jason Willoughby hat gesagt: // Jason Willoughby wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
>
> > [root%letdown /home/alisdair] # xmcd
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> > Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>
> Yeah, xdm is more paranoid than startx.  You can disable access controls
> by running, as alisdair, "xhost +".  Check the man page for more info.

I would not recommend this if your connected to a network like the
internet. Better read "man xauth".

I suggest you write a little shellscript for root, that automates
xauth-authorization like this:

#!/bin/sh
# xauth4root - sets Xauthority the way I want it
export DISPLAY=:0.0
xauth -f /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/.Xauthority extract - $DISPLAY | xauth merge -
$*

Then you can start e.g gvim with:
% xauth4root gvim
--