Re: Quick mounting question

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 12:34:23AM -0500, Brad wrote:

It was my assumption that the original poster hadn't made any changes
to the old /lib directory - hence the only change required
is to remove the fstab entry and reboot...

However, if the original poster had deleted the original /lib
directory, then procedure below would be required.

> Assuming the technical explanation below is right, it's possible.
> 1. Install sash or something just in case it severely breaks.
> 2. Make sure you know how to boot to single user mode, using sash as the
>    shell. This is important in case you hose everything that you have a
>    chance to restore.
> 3. Get a copy of the Debian installation boot disk. Remember that you can
>    do Alt-F2 to get to a VC when the install screen comes up. Make sure
>    you can do this. This is in case your system gets _really_ hosed.
> 4. telinit 1 might not be a bad idea.
> 5. Let's assume you're going to use /mnt/hdc in the next step. Add that
>    directory to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> 6. Umount /lib and remount it on that directory from step 5 (/mnt/hdc i'll
>    assume) (using sash for this step might be a Good Idea)
> 7. Copy (cp -a) everything from /mnt/hdc to /lib (which should show the
>    files you were mounting over all this time)
> 8. Copy down the proper entry from /etc/fstab, Just In Case.
> 9. Remove that proper entry from /etc/fstab, so it won't mount over /lib
>    anymore.
> A. Cross your fingers and reboot to see if it works.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. i haven't tested this, so it could VERY easily be
> wrong. At least i tried to be excessively paranoid...

It looks ok to me...

> > Now for the bad news - mounting /lib on another partition will not work
> > (someone please tell me if I am wrong) because the libraries in it are
> > required for booting the computer, and before partitions other then
> > the root partition have been mounted. If you can find a to
> > boot up to the point where /lib is mounted, everything should
> > be OK....
>
> i _think_ it might be ok, but don't quote me on that. At any rate, /usr
> would be a much better thing to stick on a separate partition.

This is the first problem you will have:

# ldd /sbin/init
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4000f000)

/sbin/init is the first program to run after the kernel has been booted.
It needs the above files from /lib otherwise it wont work.

Now, if /sbin/init, /sbin/mount, /bin/sh, etc were all statically linked,
it might work, but that is a topic for another thread.

> Personally i prefer pine, but that's just because it's the mua i learned
> first. And i despise vi as a mail editor ;)

I use vim ;-)

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>