Re: Getting rid of vi color

Did you file a bug report? At the least, it would let the maintainer know
that someone doesn't like the default setup.

Also, you could easily install a different vi. nvi, for example, comes
with a rather basic default configuration. i believe elvis is intended to
be more featured than a 'standard' vi. You can even keep both, and if
necessary modify the symlinks in /etc/alternatives to select whichever you
want activated when you type "vi"

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:

> For some reason, vi (elvis) has started to display colors and behave in a
> generally unpredictable way.  I first (just now) noticed this in a .h file
> in which it is also disallowing things I want to do, e.g. it beeps when I
> try to delete (with 'x') the first character of a commented-out line,
> although the file is world-writable.  It works sometimes, but not after I
> have done a search with '/' to get to the line I want to amend.
>
> It turns out that sane behavior can be obtained by deleting or renaming
> the directory /etc/elvis.  That directory contains 10 files containing
> program code in a language unknown to me.  Well, I see from the man
> page that they are EX commands.
>
> I would like to make a mild protest against the unnecessary complexity
> of this setup.

s/make a mild protest/file a bug report/ and you have a good course of
action. http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ for more info.