Re: Kernel too big

[This message has also been posted.]
On 4 Jun 99 14:31:06 GMT Camilo Alejandro Arboleda <camilo@ieee.org> wrote:

>My name is Camilo. I am trying to compile the Linux kernel 2.1.

 . . . why?  2.2 is the current "stable" version.  2.1 is the
previous development version, but all the features of 2.1 should be
in 2.2, only more stable.

>When I compile the kernel with the command 'make bzImage' the image
>generated has a size of about 800.000 bytes, and when I try to install the
>image using 'liloconfig' I get the error 'kernel too big', but I cannot
>remove more drivers from the kernel without lose features that I really
>need.
>
>What is the maximum size of the kernel? Is possible to increase this size?

The max size on Intel boxes is supposed to be 512MB or slightly more.
This still goes back to the ancient 640K barrier in real mode.

Don't "remove" any drivers, but compile them as modules instead of
static parts of the kernel.  For instance, if you need vfat support
for Windows disks, or ISO9660 for CDs, or sound support, or PPP for a
modem, you can compile all of those as modules and they won't
increase the size of the kernel at all.  See the Kernel-HOWTO.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum