PCMCIA broken after apt-get upgrade

I have a Toshiba 2535 laptop, with a minimal Potato - X - Gnome install.
I got audio, ppp, and pcmcia going and decided to upgrade the whole
kitten caboodle to the latest stuff, so I apt-get updated, and apt-get
upgraded. When I rebooted, the kernel no longer recognizes the modem.
Now I get the message during boot:

     kernel build: 2.3.5 # 1 Fri .......{etc}
     ds: no socket drivers loaded!
     /lib/modules/2.3.5/pcmcia/ds.o: init_modules: Device or resource
busy
     unloading PCMCIA Card Services
     ds: No such file or directory

The above repeats one more time, and then proceeds with the rest of the
boot process. I'm now on kernel 2.3.5, but the problem began when I had
2.2.9. I recompiled 2.2.9 & the module source, when that didn't work I
compiled 2.3.5 & the module source. Needless to say, I previously had
compiled the 2.2.9 & source and had the modem recognized by it.

I get the sneaking suspicion the new version of Setserial is the
culprit, but whatever it is
I don't know how to fix it.

pat